Finding the Best Pellet Smoker For Cold Weather can be difficult if you don’t know what you are upto.
The problem with winter is that you can lose a lot of smoker heat if you are not careful with your purchase.
Needless to say I have compiled few of my best recommendations. Also some important tips which I feel is important for people to know before purchase.
Let’s dive in…
Best Pellet Smoker For Cold Weather
#1. Char-Griller-E16620-Kamado (Best Overall )
Features & Specs:
- Product Dimensions: 26.6 x 24.8 x 21.65 inches
- Item Weight: 90 pounds
- Manufacturer: Char-Griller
- Brand: Char-Griller
- Material: Metal
- Color: Graphite
- Finish Type: Powder Coated
- KAMADO CHARCOAL GRILL - Kamado style BBQ Grill & Smoker perfect for both high heat grilling and low and slow cooking
- LARGE COOKING AREA - 20 inch Cooking Diameter with 447 square inch total Cooking Area can cook up to 27 burgers at once
- BEST IN CLASS FEATURES - Triple-Walled Steel Insulated Design, Cast Iron Grates, Locking Lid, 8" Locking Caster Wheels, Removable Warming Rack, Bottom Storage Shelf, and Foldable Side Shelf Workstations with BBQ Tool Storage Hooks
- EASY TO USE & CLEAN - Control the heat levels with ease using the indexed adjustable dual dampers and thermometer, and quickly clean up after grilling using the removable Easy Dump Ash Pan
- DIMENSIONS - 31”L x 45”W x 47”H, 97 lbs (pairs with the Char-Griller 6755 AKORN Grill Cover and 6201 AKORN Smokin' Stone, both sold separately)
Char-Griller-16620-Kamado has a total of 447 square inches of cooking space. Where 133 square inches of warming rack and 314 square inches of primary cooking space.
I love this smoker’s insulated design. Because less charcoal and more heat.
Another thing is it’s folding side shelves. Which makes it more useful.
Interior finish is porcelain coated steel to keep the temperature continuously. And the cooking grates are made of cast iron material, which is versatile, and is easy to clean.
Kamado body is constructed of 22 gauge steel. And exterior finish is powder coated steel which does not allow the temperature to drop.
One more thing, this unit is really heavy. This is because the walls of the charcoal grill are triple-insulated. That means well built material.
Also it has a gasket so this seals and a little clip so you don’t lose as much heat from the outside.
It has locking lid and tubular steel w/rubber wheels and locking caster on front so no need to worry for mobility.
Two adjustable dampers regulate the airflow. And also maintain the temperature at 200 up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can remove the ash pan and clean easily.
This efficient cooker is really good at maintaining heat. No need to refuel in this cooker.
You can celebrate with pizza in winter if you are using a smoke stone in smoker.
For me It’s the Best Pellet Smoker For Cold Weather.
- Triple-insulated wall
- Removable ashtray
- Easy mobility
- Adjustable dual dampers
- Folding side shelves
- Heat gauge
- This unit is a little bit heavy.
#2. Weber 22-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smoker
Feature & Specs:
- Brand: Weber
- Model Name: 731001
- Power Source: Charcoal
- Color: Black
- Product Dimensions: 24 x 23 x 48.5 inches
- Fuel Type: Charcoal
- Item Weight: 68 pounds
- Porcelain enameled lid, bowl, and center section retain heat and won’t rust or peel
- Two cooking grates provide ample room for smoking two large items at once
- Silicone temperature grommet monitors the internal temperature of your smoker
- Control the temperature of your smoker by easily adjusting the dampers. Smokey Mountain large aluminum fuel door allows grill masters to easily add charcoal
- Fuel door comes off to make adding charcoal or wood easier while smoking
Next in my list is Weber. You must be asking yourself how this smoker made it in the list for cold weather pellet smoker?
Yes you are right. Because this unit has thin metal which blows only heat even if you use so much extra fuel on this. It is tough to increase heat.
But it’s damper makes it easier to maintain low and slow temperature.
Also It is an easy to move, lightweight and space saving vertical unit. Which makes it easier to use in windy, rainy and cold weather.
Another thing is WSM has accurate built-in temperature. It allows you to connect into your house WiFi. You can also use Weber’s iGrill 3 meat thermometers for monitoring your cook.
Although I use this unit comfortably in 30 degrees in winter . Without any insulation blanket.
So the point is how we can use it in cold weather. Here I want to clarify that, you have to pair this unit with a specifically-made thermal blanket and use it. If the weather is below 30 degrees otherwise no need.
The blanket doesn’t come with a unit, only a cover they provides. You have to purchase that blanket.
To avoid any wind and cold, welding blankets are used which can be easily folded and stored.
Some people use plywood as a windbreak to escape from the wind.
I’m sharing a video. Hope it will be helpful for you.
I have never tried this. I have a Weber jacket which I purchased from Amazon with my Weber.
If you want your desired temperature then be ready with extra charcoal. But the damper will manage with a low and slow heat system.
It has a fuel door so without removing the lid you can feed the fuel.
This Weber is a rust-resistant smoker which is constructed of porcelain-enameled. Porcelain coated will prevent water.
This unit comes with two cooking grates, a bowl and a built-in thermometer. It is available in three different sizes.
Mine is a new unit so right now I don’t think it needs any modification. And also it’s running well. Some people have leakage problems in their smoke door. They have to install a gasket.
- Removable fuel door
- Easy to insulate with a Weber Smokey Mountain Thermal Blanket
- Quality damper maintains low and slow temperature
- Accurate thermometer probes allows to connect your house WiFi
- Space saving Vertical shape
- Thin metal
- Need more charcoal
#3. Camp Chef Smoke Vault
Features & Specs:
- Brand: Camp Chef
- Power Source: Gas
- Color: Black
- Product Dimensions: 30.5 x 25 x 17 inches
- Weight: 74.6 Pounds
My next favourite is camp chef smoke vault. This smoker can cook your meat low and slow.
The camp Chef comes with a heavy-gauge steel,drip pan, wood chip tray and water pan.
According to some people it’s ideal for smoking ribs, fish, poultry, beef, baked pies etc.
In my case, I didn’t try all these things except fish and beef jerky. Because I bought it especially for jerky.
You can smoke many foods or meats at the same time.
Super easy to control the temperature. Regulate with the knob meat thermometer.
I’m very impressed. The heat control dials, three dampers and door thermometer never disappointed me. till now. in the whole cooking process.
This smoker efficiently works in the winter. I used it in 30° weather where it holds 400 degrees temperature.
Use a wireless thermometer which saves you and the heat of the smoker. You will need a blanket for constant heat.
If you are living in a cold or windy area buy some high-heat silicone caulk and a few washers.
I found some difficulties like when you set the knob it doesn’t set at an accurate temperature. It takes time.
Assembly is very easy. Follow the instructions.
- Sturdy materials
- Easy to clean
- Special racks for jerky
- Best for winter
- Little difficult to set the knob.
Best Pellet Smoker For Cold Weather- Tips
# Do pellet grills work in cold weather?
Yes pellet grills work in cold weather.
Here are some names of the Best pellet grills which work in cold weather :
- Traeger TFB57GLEO Pro Series 575 Grill, Smoker,
- Green Mountain Davy Crockett Sense Mate
- PIT BOSS 700FB Pellet Grill, 700 sq. in.
- Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro Slide Smoker with Fold Down Front Shelf Wood Pellet Grill, Pack of 1, Black
- Kamado Joe Classic II
- Weber 22-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smoker
# Winter Grilling: Do’s & Don’ts
Preheat your grill and be patient with it because it will take time if it is cold outside.
2. Keep extra fuel
Have an extra propane tank or fuel.
3. Clear path for transportation
Make sure you have a clear path to your grill If you are living with snow and ice.
4. Take care of your cooking grates
Keep your cast iron cooking grates inside if you are not grilling for the winter. And consistently season your cast iron. So it will not dry or rust.
5. Clean before store
Clean your grill before if you are storing for the winter.
6. Arrange light for grilling
Make sure you have a well-light grilling area.
7. Use wireless thermometer
Do use a wireless thermometer if you can.
8. Clean drip pan
Keep your drip pan clean.
1. Keep the grill outside
Don’t put your grill in a human garage. Moisture will promote corrosion of your grill.
2. Cover your grill
Don’t leave your grill open. Not only in winter but in all seasons.
# How To Manage Your Smoker in the Cold?
1. Make sure you protect your smoker from wind.
Wind is the biggest problem in the winter especially if you have an offset smoker. Wind increases the temperature moving through the fire box.
And decreases the temp when it comes through the smokestack. So you can keep your smoker in a place where it’s more protected from wind.
2. Make sure that you warm up your wood split before you put it in the firebox.
So there are two ways you can do that.
The first one is you put your splits on top of the firebox. And the other way is you can put it inside of the firebox near the burning splits.
3. Keep more fuel for constant heat.
4. Use a wireless thermometer.
You can’t sit or stand near the smoker in winter.
# How to be ready before smoking in cold-weather?
Follow this cold-weather checklist:
Check fuel, burners, jets, and gas lines for any blockages that can restrict gas flow.
Your grill’s lid, Buttons and knobs might be stuck. Check all that before grilling.
2. Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
3. Never use a grill in an enclosed space like a garage.
Don’t set up your cooking station too close to home. Always have a fire extinguisher on hand whenever you grill
4. Keep far scarves or anything else So that flame will not catch the fire.
5. Use a wireless meat thermometer to check.
# Can you cold smoke on a pellet grill?
Yes. With the help of a smoke source or tube we can cold smoke on a pellet grill.
# Insulated Blankets on Your Smoker: Do They Work?
Yes insulated blankets works on a smoker. A blanket helps extremely with the wind as well as the cold days.
# Where do I buy thermal blanket./ insulation blankets for my Weber?
You can purchase from amazon. Click here.