Here I have explained most of your queries about Pit Boss Modifications .
I have always struggled to find proper information on the Mods.
Therefore, whatever from my experiences in doing and learning about the Mods , I have tried to share the best of helpful information.
I have tried to cover some common queries like Pitboss Austin XL Modifications,Cover,Customize the Hopper , Wifi/ Bluetooth Module,Inbuilt Thermometer,Pit boss upgrades accessories etc.
I surely hope it solves your problem .
- Pit boss modifications ( Pitboss Austin XL Modifications)
- Mod 1) Getting a Cover
- Mod 2) Getting a Front Shelf
- Mod 3) Customize the Hopper Safety Cover
- Mod 4) Getting a magnetic hook.
- Mod 5) Getting the Wifi/ Bluetooth Module
- Mod 6) Replacing the Inbuilt Thermometer.
- Mod 7) Expanding the Probe Holes.
- Mod 8) Preventing leakages from lids.
- Mod 9) Using a Magnet.
- Mod 10) Using a silicon Mat
- Mod 11) Heat Deflector Modification
- Mod 12) Backing up Cooking Grates.
- Find your Pit boss upgrades accessories
Pit boss modifications ( Pitboss Austin XL Modifications)
To take pitboss from good to awesome , these are some of the modifications or boost that worked like charm for me.
Mod 1) Getting a Cover
Since the place where I stay is exposed to heat throughout.
And also sometimes it rains, I felt the need to protect my Austin.
A good grill cover is a must if you want your boy to go long for years.
After hours of research I ended up buying the Cloakman Premium Heavy-Duty Grill Cover .
For me I love this cover.
It is premium and the quality is really good.
- CLOAKMAN premium grill cover applicated to Pit Boss Pro series 1100 and 1000 XL
- Durable fabric material 300X600D with Double stitching of sewing process
- Waterproof and UV protection, excellent weatherability
- Velcro straps to secure your grill withstand heavy wind and rain
- Tailor made and perfect fit
Mod 2) Getting a Front Shelf
SInce Austin doesnt come with a front shelf, I had to get one .
I picked up a very nice front shelf online.
And I am very pleased with it and it gives me a little extra space to set things on while grilling.
However it might not be needed for all .
It is just a preference for me.
Mod 3) Customize the Hopper Safety Cover
Austin comes with a safety net that covers the pellets in the hopper.
This looks like to prevent your hands down where that auger goes.
But this sometimes is a problem as it is difficult to level the pellets as they start to funnel. We need to use a stick to do so.
I feel it is very limited and I had to cut this area out in the centre.
A pair of tin snips was able to do so easily.
Now I can use my hands to move the pellets freely.
Mod 4) Getting a magnetic hook.
Sometimes I don’t need the top shelf or grates.
And so these magnetic hooks become very handy to hang the shelves.
Again this is a preference.
Check out how handy it can be..
- ✔ SUPER DURABLE L - Amazing strong, sturdy and reliable magnetic hook in portable size, Made of high grade and exquisite quality magnet and steel. It is perfect for hanging items on fridge.
- ✔ EXCELLENT COATING- Triple layers nickel coated on metal steel CNC machined metal base greatly reinforces corrosion resistance of magnetic hook! Maintenance free, no rust!
- ✔ HIGH QUALITY –Routine dimensional/visual checking were performed in the CNC Machines flow line, defective pieces such as surface flaw, crack or oversized products were checked and picked out at the first place. Dimensions, flux and surface of sold products was sampling checked and sorted in our factory. We guarantee every product was made under ISO 9001 Quality Systems!
- ✔ VERSATILE USE- After a precise simulation and calculation, this hook was endowed with a strong capability for holding of various items in your office cabinet, kitchen, living room, door, indoor and workshop wherever there are steel metal.
- ✔Neosmuk 22lbs+ (measured on the automatic tension machine) Permanent magnetic hooks, magnetism lasts forever!
Mod 5) Getting the Wifi/ Bluetooth Module
One thing I wanted was to have a wifi module in the Austin Xl .
Although it was not available in the model that I purchased , fortunately I could find an aftermarket panel from Pitboss itself.
I just bought the panel from their website and installed it.
For me this is such a nice addition. I can control everything from my phone.
And the readings are pretty accurate.
Mod 6) Replacing the Inbuilt Thermometer.
One problem which is common in Austin is the inbuilt thermometers. They are not very accurate.
Therefore I had to replace it with a better quality thermometer.
After a lot of research I ended up buying a Tel tru thermometer.
I should say the thermometers are very accurate and of good quality .
- 1/2" NPT (install into 7/8" drill hole)
- Made in USA
- Stock item, ships in one business day
- Stainless steel heavy duty construction
- We recommend Installation Kit #4903101 (sold separately)
Mod 7) Expanding the Probe Holes.
The holes for the probe to enter the chamber are quite small.
It is never a problem when you are dealing with one probe.
However If the first probe is already in and you try to insert another probe, You will start facing the issue.
Since the hole is small it is difficult to enter the second probe .
I simply had to increase the size of the holes to solve this.
You can simply do this by using a jigsaw.
Mod 8) Preventing leakages from lids.
Inorder to reduce the smoke from leaking through the chamber lids, I had to use gaskets around the door.
There are many gaskets around in the market .
But I chose to purchase a FireBlack Gasket. It is very easy to use the gaskets around the lids.
Mod 9) Using a Magnet.
Whenever you are not using a thermometer probe , the holes to insert the probe can leak smoke.
This is not good as it might lead to heat loss and difficult to maintain temperature.
So better get a small magnet that covers these holes when not in use.
Here is an example.
Mod 10) Using a silicon Mat
When using the griddles or the grates the spatulas and the tongs can get extremely greasy and dirty .
And it is not to keep it at any place as later it might be difficult to clean up.
After some research I bought a silicon mat. This mat is quite handy to keep the tongs or spatulas .
You can always clean the silicon mat later instead of having to deal with the smoker directly.
This looks simple but trust me this is necessary.
- 1.NO BETTER CHOICE - Thicker does not mean better. Our grill mat is thin enough to leave grill marks and flavor intact,and thick enough to provide ultimate heat resistance and durability.6 pack of grill mats can meet the needs of the dinner from time to time; when they are spare, you can cut them to any size or shape to fit any need. Also doubles as a bake mat
- 2.100% NON-STICK - 100% Non-Stick means you can grill without grease and mats are reusable for years! Non-stick BBQ grill mat prevent even the smallest morsels from falling through the grates. Keep your grill looking brand-new and no more clean-up of your dirty grill
- 3.APPROVED MATERIALS - Our BBQ grill mats are made from 100% PFOA-Free materials and premium PTFE-Fiberglass coating, no PFOA, silicone or other dangerous chemicals! When the use time exceeds 30 minutes, the maximum temperature cannot exceed 260 F; when used for a short time, the maximum temperature cannot exceed 400 F.
- 4.REUSABLE AND DISHWASHER SAFE - Versatile and highly economical, they can be cut to perfectly fit your pans. Both sides can be used over 100 times, for grilling, roasting, and even baking! They are super-easy to clean; just pop them in the top shelf of your dishwasher and forget about laborious scrubbing.
- 5.QUALITY GREAT- Unhappy with your new grill mats? No problem! If you have any question about it, just tell us and we will provide you a satisfied solution.
Mod 11) Heat Deflector Modification
This is one of the most common modifications done to Pitboss 1000 and later models.
There is a heat swing in most of the later models due to design changes .
This issue can be easily solved by using a heat deflector mod .
This mod can be purchased easily and installed in order to fix the issue of heat swing.
Actually I have already discussed this modification in detail in my previous blog.
You can know more about the heat deflector mods here.
Be sure to check out the pit boss heat shield placement in my previous article.
Mod 12) Backing up Cooking Grates.
It is always a good idea to keep a backup of the cooking grates.
I already had my previous grates skin getting damaged.
I always keep some good quality grates ready for my cook .
Here are the new grates which I bought for my Austin.
- 【Fit Perfectly】Fits Traeger 22 series pellet smoker grill
- 【Material】Good Quality - Heavy gauge and 40% heavier of cast iron material with non-stick matt porcelain enamel coat
- 【Excellent design】Diamond pattern design to create perfect grill marks. Triangle profile of grade strips, the bottom side is good for searing and the tip side is good for smoking and cooking
- 【Package include】2 PCS in pack
- 【Dimensions】10.8" (Width) x 19.4" (Depth) for each
Also you can get ideas from these list of modifications and apply to any of the following pitboss :
pit boss 1100 modifications, pit boss pro series 1150 modifications, pit boss 820 mods,pit boss vertical smoker mods, pit boss rotisserie mod,pit boss heat deflector mod,pit boss austin xl heat deflector mod.
Find your Pit boss upgrades accessories
How do I get my Pit Boss to smoke more?
To get Pitboss to smoke more you can try cooking at a lower temperature, Replacing your wood pellets, Cooking the meat while it’s cold , Drying the pellets more, Using a smoker tube etc.
How do you change the P setting on a Pit Boss? What is the smoke setting on Pit Boss?
P setting means pause.
Lower the value of P setting and the firebox will intake low pellets, consumes faster and more heat is produced.
It is provided to give you more control over the heat and the smoke.
You can use it as per your need.
Are Pit Boss pellet grills any good?
Yes Pit Boss pellet grills are absolutely good.
Unlike offset smokers they are quite easy to use and the fuels are pellets which are readily available at stores and online too.
They mostly run on electricity and are also automatic .
Therefore it is very easy to use. I recommend it for beginners.