Initially I struggled finding out a good resource for Char Griller Gravity 980 Mods.
With some experiences in mods I thought I should put some solutions out here for people with similar concern.
After all, my blog is all about the solutions and my experiences.
So here are my top Char Griller Gravity 980 Mods that worked charm.
And it is still one of my best attempts at modifications.
I have aimed to solve some common issues, such as,
- Diffuser Modification
- Sealing the Hopper
- Adding a Rotisserie
- Adding a Temp Gauge
- Char Griller 980 Fan Flap Replacement.
Hope it helps you in the same way.
- Mod 1 : Diffuser Modification.
- Mod 2 : Sealing the Hopper.
- Mod 3 : Adding a Rotisserie.
- Find all types of Accessories here
- Mod 4 : Adding a Temp Gauge.
- Mod 5: Char Griller 980 Fan flap replacement.
- # How to Burn-in and Season Char-griller 980?
- # Why is the Char-Griller 980 Gravity better?
- # What to do for extra smoke on Char-Griller 980?
- # How do I connect my Char-Griller 980 to WIFI?
- # Why should I modify a diffuser of char-griller 980?
- # Can the Char Griller Gravity 980 be kept in the open?
- # Can I sear on a Char Griller Gravity 980?
- # Can I use wood in a Char Griller 980 smoker?
- # Where do I purchase Char Griller 980 rotisserie?
Be sure to check out
Char Griller Gravity 980 Mods
Mod 1 : Diffuser Modification.
# How to Modify a Diffuser?
Step 1: Remove the diffuser from your griller and place it on the table.
Step 2: Take a sheet slightly larger than the size of the diffuser so that it is easier to wrap.
Step 3: Keep diffuser on the foil
Step 4: The bottom side of the diffuser should be up.
Step 5: Wrap around the diffuser with a sheet.
Step 6: After wrapping, flip up the wrapped diffuser.
Step 7: Get a good press down with your both palms.
Step 8: Take a knife and cut into each of these slits.
Step 9: Now your Diffuser is ready to place in the cooking chamber.
Step 10: If you are going to sear something, you can take the foil off.
Mod 2 : Sealing the Hopper.
# How to seal up the Charcoal Hopper on the Gravity Series Char-Griller?
Steps to follow:
Step 1: Cut the gasket with a scissor according to the hopper top size.
Step 2: Open the hopper lid and put gasket material around the hopper with the help of Hi-Temp RTV.
Mod 3 : Adding a Rotisserie.
# How to add a Rotisserie?
Both are fine.
Steps to follow:
Step 1: Mark the places where you make holes on your grill.
Step 2: Drill both sides near the grate holder to fix the brackets.
Step 3: Fix the bracket near the right grate holder with a sheet metal screw.
Step 4: Next, the motor mounting bracket will mount on the left side of the smoker near the side table.
Step 5: Drill one more hole to hold the rotisserie according to the motor mounting bracket hole.
Step 6: Measure from the motor mounting bracket to the opposite side where the other bracket is located.
So that you can know what the length of the rotisserie should be.
Step 7: Fix the thumbscrew with rotisserie to attach on the right side bracket.
Step 8: Attach the rotisserie with the motor through the bracket hole and fix the rest of the end with the right side bracket.
Find all types of Accessories here
- Meat Probe
- Extreme Heat Resistant BBQ Gloves
- Fish & Vegetable Smoking Mat
- Fire Starter
- Meat Thermometers
- Upgraded Fan Replacement
- On/off switch Replacement Part
Mod 4 : Adding a Temp Gauge.
# How to add a Temp Gauge?
It’s incredibly simple.
Steps to follow:
Step 1: Mark those places at the same distance from the “char-griller” sticker located on the top of the lid.
Step 2: Drill on the two marks
Step 3: Fix the temp gauge.
Mod 5: Char Griller 980 Fan flap replacement.
Fan flap issue is very common in char griller 980 .
It is usually between the firebox and cook chamber.
Made up of rubber it does not hold up to heat very well.
Here is a quick image showing the flapper.
# How to Burn-in and Season Char-griller 980?
- Take off all the racks and diffuser and spray canola oil or any cooking oil inside the grill.
- You can coat the metal surfaces inside of the grill and drip tray.
- Keep back racks and all and spray on them.
- Close the lid of your grill.
- Poor charcoal in the hopper and open the lid for airflow.
- Open the fan cover door and ash cleanout door.
- Remove the damper and open the back vent.
- Get on fire with starters or paper towels.
- Close the hopper lid after 5 minutes or when you see the smoke billowing from the hopper.
And also close the ash cleanout door.
- Press your power button, turn it on, and set the temperature at 345F for 30 to 90 minutes.
- Turn on the turbo button.
- After the procedure unplugged your grill.
- Close the fingerboard and keep back the damper.
# Why is the Char-Griller 980 Gravity better?
Char-Griller 980 Gravity is better because it is easy to use, you can set your desired temperature and let it.
The onboard digital controller, automatic fan, and char griller app does the rest of the process.
Also, it is designed to maximize fuel efficiency.
The insulated grill’s body and the charcoal hopper provide consistent heat and temp.
Char-Griller 980 is durable and lasts longer.
# What to do for extra smoke on Char-Griller 980?
In order to get an extra smoker in Char-Griller 980, take pieces of wood chunks and keep those in the ash pan.
The little bits of coal and ash will fall from inside the firebox, and they slowly ignite the chunks and produce smoke.
This way, you will get extra smoke..
Alternatively, you can put straight to the charcoal hopper in stages, such as a small amount of charcoal first, followed by a small amount of wood chunk.
You can do this as many times as you like.
# How do I connect my Char-Griller 980 to WIFI?
To connect your Char-Griller 980 to wifi :
1) Download the Char-Griller app
2) Select Bluetooth or wi-fi from the setting page. Then,
3) Enter the controller’s code.
# Why should I modify a diffuser of char-griller 980?
You should modify a diffuser of chargriller 980 because :
- It can control the temperature and it doesn’t affect your unevenness of cooking.
2. It will be easier to smoke, grill and barbecue.
3.Catch some foodstuff or sauce in the bottom of the grill.
# Can the Char Griller Gravity 980 be kept in the open?
Yes you can take it out but you should keep the grill covered to protect the grill from rust and damage to the grill.
# Can I sear on a Char Griller Gravity 980?
Yes you sear on a Char Griller Gravity 980 Grill.
# Can I use wood in a Char Griller 980 smoker?
# Where do I purchase Char Griller 980 rotisserie?
You can buy Char Griller 980 rotisserie from here.