Looking for a best gravity fed smoker? You are in the right place. I have updated recently about the latest upgrades from Masterbuilt too.
Some of the smokers here are very versatile. For eg : I can go home from work , get the smoker ready for cooking at even 20 minutes and catch up with your cooking.While on weekends I can take longer duration to cook . Both the options are viable.
What I meant is you can cook fast as well as slow based on your need.
Gravity smokers with its fast heating capability and its design has always impressed many. It’s worth to consider knowing which ones the best .
We have compiled a list of best gravity smokers for different needs. All these smokers have extremely good built qualities . And are well known in the community .
PS: There are top notch range of smokers in the market like the vulcan gravity feed smoker series from Myron Mixon, stump smoker, old country gravity fed smoker which I have excluded in my list . Simple reason is for its cost and availability.
I hope weber too makes gravity smoker in the future. But as of now I don’t see it . So if you are looking for one here then you may be disappointed.
However the below mentioned smokers are affordable to most people.
Find out which one best suits your need.
Be sure to check out
Might be helpful topics :
Looking for best Kingsford charcoal for gravity feed smoker? Know more...
- Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 vs 560
- Char Griller 980 vs Masterbuilt 1050
- Offset Smokers.( Traditional. Excellent Flavour)
- Pellet Smokers. ( Easy to Use)
- Propane Smokers. ( Portable )
- Vertical Smokers ( Efficient )
- Gravity Smokers.( Quick )
Also some smoker modifications frequently asked for that might be helpful :
- Offset Smoker Mods
- Chargriller Smokin pro Mods.
- Dyna Glo Smoker Mods
- Char Griller 980 Gravity Smoker Modifications.
4 Best Gravity Fed Smokers in 2021.
Also you can check out the differences between Masterbuilt Gravity 560 vs 1050 in depth.
#1 Best Overall – Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050
- Reaches 225°F in 10 minutes or 700°F in 15 minutes
- Control temperature and cook time with the digital control panel or with smart device control using WiFi or Bluetooth
- DigitalFan for precise temperature control
- GravityFed hopper holds 10 lbs. of lump charcoal or 16 lbs. of briquettes for up to 8 hours of use
- Convenient fold out cord storage in back of side shelf to prevent loss or damage to the power supply
- Model Name : Gravity Series 1050
- Color : Black
- Item Weight : 202.9 Pounds
- Item Dimensions : LxWxH 33.07 x 61.02 x 52.17 inches
- Fuel Type : Charcoal
- Heat Up time : 225°F in 10 minutes or 700°F in 15 minutes
- Wifi : Yes
- Bluetooth : Yes
- Cover : Yes
- PID Controller : Yes
- Fan: Yes, Digital fan for precise temperature control
- Hopper Capacity : 10 lbs. of lump charcoal or 16 lbs. of briquettes for up to 8 hours of use
- Storage : Storage in back of side shelf to prevent loss or damage to the power supply
So glad to bring you my take on this beast. Many of us have been waiting for this for a long time .
MasterBuilt Gravity Series 1050 is one of the biggest smokers in the list of gravity smokers. Also the best gravity fed charcoal grill in its category for price and the quality.
It is a giant that lets you cook a lot of items at a time.
It is 200 pounds although the box says 250 . Which means it is super heavy. Also meant the quality of the built material used is not compromised.
This is the best part . It can reach upto 225 degrees Fahrenheit in 10 min and 700 Fahrenheit in 15 minutes. At first I was skeptical about this, but after some trials it actually works and I totally agree.
Masterbuilt already has their previous version 560 which are very well received by the smoker community . Also there were minor feedbacks to the product.
This time they have come up with huge improvements on previous versions.
I have updated to the latest firmware versions for both 560 and 1050 . Works pretty well as of now. I used the wifi to download and upgrade. It was not difficult .
You will get cool handles. This is great as you can avoid hand burns.
The folding shelf is cool with a proper finishing . I only wish it was a little bigger.
It also comes with a large bottom shelf around 8 inches tall.
The wheels are small at the front and the bigger ones are at the back . Good for movement and controls .
This unit comes with a PID controller. What this means is that the temperatures are controlled automatically. The fans are of variable speed.
Also has bluetooth and wifi for connectivity . This means that you can download its latest software ( firmware) directly through wifi and get all the latest fixes and improvements.
It comes with only one probe. I hope they can add more probes in the future. However for most people this is not important so it should not be a concern .
This series consists of a grease tray . We can pull it out from underneath the cooking chamber.
So getting grease cleaned out is not difficult.
Also it has ash pans below the charcoal area. This lets you remove the ash can and clean it out easily .
The door already has gaskets on it. This is well done . It prevents the leakage of heat and smoke.
Some really cool upgrades also include the charcoal grates redesign.
In previous models there were complaints about the charcoal grates that the charcoal were falling off without complete burning.
This time they have come up with a complete grate design revamp. Now it really protects the charcoal from falling off. I am super satisfied about it . Great job Masterbuilt ..Keep listening to feedback..
When you are working with fans that blow the heat and smoke you should really be careful . To provide safety from anything wrong happening. Masterbuilt has included a safety switch near areas outside the charcoal burning box.
How does it work?
You fill the charcoal or the lump charcoal or even chunks of wood into the hopper.
Start the fire with the help of a fire starter.
Internally the heat or the flame is pushed towards the cooking chamber with a PID controlled Fan.
The heat and the smoke flow super efficiently through the diffusion plates or area.
Finally reach the cooking chamber to cook your food.
How to start a fire in the Masterbuilt Gravity 1050 series?
To operate , there are sliders for help. These slides can be taken out and hung while not in use.
We can slide in a fire starter . Then ignite the fire starter with a lighter in 2 – 3 minutes. Shut the door and turn on the smoker.
Does the masterbuilt gravity 1050 series smoker have a lot of charcoal wastage?
No. You can always control it . Once you are done with the smoker. You can easily shut it down step by step and again make it ready for use for your next cook. This way the use of charcoal can be easily extended. Personally I don’t have any issue.
I have my Masterbuilt 560 series smoker with creosote collected. This is common. However I recommend using good quality charcoal . For eg :- Oakwood charcoal , masterbuilt’s own charcoal . This should avoid the creosotes in Masterbuilt 1050 series too.
We also have discussed more on getting rid of creosotes from a smoker. Feel free to check out.
Overall it is a beast . The Masterbuilt gravity 1050 series has a lot of rooms for cooking. Super fast to heat up and start cooking. I am loving it..
Here I have discussed the top queries and important things . However I will come up with a much more comprehensive guide on this smoker. Stay tuned. As this list does not end here…
- It has a huge space to cook large amounts of food at a time .
- Super efficient design.
- PID controlled fans .
- Upgraded firmwares.
- Redesigned charcoal grates.
- Quality built Material
- Very quick heat up .
- Front shelf could have been bigger.
#2 Best Budget – Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560
- Reaches 225°F in 7 minutes or 700°F in 13 minutes
- Control temperature and cook time with the digital control panel or with smart device control using WIFI or Bluetooth
- DigitalFan for precise temperature control
- Built-in temperature gauge and meat probe thermometer for perfect results every time
- GravityFed hopper holds 10 lbs. of lump charcoal or 16 lbs. of briquettes for 12-15 hours of use
- WIFI or Bluetooth : Yes
- Temperature control Fan : Yes, Digital
- Built-in temperature gauge : Yes
- Meat probe thermometer : Yes
- Hopper Capacity : 10 lbs. of lump charcoal or 16 lbs. of briquettes ,
- Burn Time : 12-15 hours.
- Grates : Reversible smoke + sear cast-iron grates.
- Racks: Yes, Two porcelain-coated warming/smoking racks.
- Cooking Space : 560 total square inches.
This is an older version to 1050 series .
This gravity smoker has everything that is needed to save smoke and heat.
Everybody is not ready for an expensive smoker. Especially when it comes to gravity smokers, the price can go very high.
However Masterbuilt has cracked it. According to me this is one of the lowest priced gravity smokers out there in the market.
The temperature control for this smoker is praiseworthy . This is because of its double walled cooking chamber.
You can reach the start up temperature really quick. Once the initial temperature is reached it then continue to maintain it very well.
This unit is extremely easy to use and maintain. Its bluetooth system is seamless and provides good connectivity.
It provides a Masterbuilt app with instructions for connectivity. You would hardly face any problem in pairing with your phone and the WIFI.
Initially It took me a while to perfect smoking in this unit. But eventually I understood that it was a slight mistake at my end. Now I feel that this smoker is better than all my other smokers. It produces great smoke flavours.
Another cool thing about this smoker is its cooling fan . This fan is electronically controlled and regulated. Which means that you don’t have to worry about excessive heat .
It has plenty of cooking space. I have tried different meats such as chicken , porkbutt , brisket , ribs.. Etc. And every time I loved it.
Assembly is easy . You don’t need an expert for this.
My unit easily runs for 10-12 hours without refueling. The charcoal lasts really long because of its highly insulated walls.
One thing for which I am a big fan of this smoker is its compact design . Yet it has a good amount of cooking space. Thanks to the designers.
I heard the manufacturers have put a lot of time and effort into coming up with this. And as far as my experience with this smoker , I feel that it is quite true.
In short , it has good temperature control, heat retention, produces clean fire and good smoke flavor. What else is required?
This unit does not come with the cover. During rainy season or winter you may need it to protect it . I would recommend you to buy it from any online store.
- Durable, double stitched seams to prevent leaking, keeping your grill looking new and protected from the elements
- Added interior PVC liner that prevents tearing when removing or putting the cover on the grill
- UV additives that prevent fading of the cover and an adjustable draw string to keep in place when grill is covered
- Compatible with the Gravity series 560 digital charcoal grill plus smoker by Masterbuilt
What we like :
- Value for Money : This is smoker beats all the smokers in its category in terms of price. The quality of insulation is praise worthy.
- Heat Retention : Because of the double walls the heat retention is very impressive.
- Temperature Control: You don’t have to babysit to control the temperature, It does its job automatically.
- Connectivity : Wifi enabled this unit to be controlled from distance. This is very handy.
What we don’t like :
- Wifi Range : I wish the range of the wifi is much longer.
- Heavy : It is super heavy . This can hinder sometimes.
#3 Best Military Grade – Myron Mixon G33
- Insulation Quality : Military grade
- Hardware : Stainless Metal
- Rounded charcoal chute – 20 lbs. capacity
- Fire door : Double-sealed fire door
- Racks : Nickel-chrome type
- Removable water pan
- Slam latch door
- Integrated wire port
- Approx weight : 880 lbs
- Dimensions: 63” W x31.3” D x61.3” H
- Cooking Rack : 7 STD/11 MAX
- Cooking Capacity : 4678 sq/in STD , 7351 sq/in MAX
- Burn Time : Up to 20 hours.
How can I not mention about this smoker when it is about gravity smokers that we are discussing.
Myron Mixon Gravity smoker is a name to be proud of in this category .
For those of you who dont know, Myron Mixon is a big name in the BBQ industry , He has hosted and judged many popular television shows. We can be sure he knows about his stuff very well.
This smoker may be out of budget for most people. However it delivers well as it promises.
This is far by the best in terms of its metal grading. It is made up of military grade insulation .Which makes it a very tough to compete smoker.
As a result , the burn up time can last up to 20 hours. This is much higher when we compare to Masterbuilt Gravity smoker.
You dont need to worry about the metal getting corroded. The metals are stainless.
What we like :
- Quality : The built quality is unmatchable . It confidently boast its military grade material used for its construction . This is really cool.
- Burn up time : Easily this unit can have upto 20 hours of burn up time. This is what most of us always dreamt for.
What we don’t like :
- Price : It is too expensive for most people to even try out.
#4 Best Mid-Range – Char-Griller Gravity smoker
- Cooking Grates : Porcelain-Coated Cast Iron
- Shelves : Folding Front Shelf, Fixed Side Shelf
- Controller Type : Digital LCD Controller with Bluetooth and WiFi
- Hopper Type : Triple Walled Insulated Hopper
- Lid Type : Insulated Barrel Lid
- Probe : Built In Meat Probe
- Control Fan Type : Precision Control
- Slide Damper : Included.
- Fire Channel type : Porcelain Coated
This smoker is a choice for people who can spent very high but as well want a quality product in a middle range.
Char griller also produces a variety of other type of smokers. They have a good customer base.
Few of my friends have acquired it and have lot of good things to talk about it. Personally I am not in favour of this smoker just because of its look.
However when it comes to efficiency , Char Griller Gravity smoker works like charm. Which means you can be sure you are not wasting your fuel.
Another thing this smoker boast of is about its large grilling surface.
The smoker is easy to clean up and easy to start up .
We can easily try out different variations of temperature .
What we like :
- Good Charcoal Flavour : This smokers is well known for the flavour it can produce.
- Temperature control : LCD controller with bluetooth and wifi makes it lot easier to control the temperature.
- Versatile : Works well with all type of cooking.
What we don’t like :
- Difficult Setup : It is not so easy to assemble this unit in the beginning.
- Poor wifi connection : Wifi Connection range can be improved.
Know more about Gravity Smokers
#1 What is gravity feed smoker?
Gravity smokers are a kind of smoker which uses the weight of the charcoal wisely in its design .
Because of its clever design, the charcoal does not require manual attention to keep burning.
Which means that you can put charcoal in the hopper, start the smoker . But you don’t have to babysit to control the temperature.
This smoker’s burn up time can range from 10 hours up to 20 hours.
#2 How does a gravity fed smoker work?
Gravity Fed Smoker works on the principle of sealed environment which means it does not allow the heat to pass through its walls.
The amount of the fire is controlled by the air passing through the valve to the fire box chamber.
The fuel in it takes time to burn as fire takes time to travel in the whole of a chamber.
This is due to the lack of oxygen in the cooking chamber, this condition is called as oxygen depletion.
The fuel burns to continue when the oxygen depletion is overcomed.
The oxygen supply is from the bottom bottom(4-5inches) of the chute and takes a little time to burn the whole fuel.
The air passes through the valve across the chute and burn the entire fuel.
The tube inside the chamber passes the heat and smoke to the cooking chamber.
The divider plate inside the cooking chamber distributes the heat and smoke evenly throughout its compartments.
#3 How to use gravity fed smoker?
Here is a video tutorial on how to use this smoker.
#4 Gravity smoker vs pellet grill. What is the difference?
They are vast difference in terms of their fuel and its impact . Gravity uses Charcoal .
You can get smoke rings in both the smokers. But the smoke flavours will be stronger in Gravity smokers.
Both the smokers differs in the way they operate. Gravity smoker can last longer hours than pellet smokers.
Gravity smoker does not require much attention. However the Pellet smoker may require your attention .Especially to avoid the pellets blocking the hopper during smoking.
#5 Gravity smoker vs offset. What is the difference?
Offset smoker used both woods and Charcoal . While Gravity smokers are especially designed for charcoal lumps and briquettes.
#6 Gravity fed horizontal smoker :
Gravity feed horizontal smoker simply got its name because of its design.
Very few brands are building this type of smokers.
When it comes to horizontal smokers the first brand that comes to my mind is Stump.
Here is a link for you too check out different ranges of Gravity Fed Horizontal smoker.
Are gravity smokers good?
Yes . Gravity smokers are extremely good for long hours cooking.
They are designed to run on Charcoal lump and britiques and not on woods directly.
Does gravity feed use pellet as a fuel?
No . Gravity Feed Smokers use either Charcoal Lump or Charcoal Briquettes.