Are you curious about the Char Griller Gravity Fed 980 Review? You’ve arrived at the right place..
Here I have discussed all the advantages and disadvantages of the Char Griller Gravity Fed 980.
Also you will find features of this charcoal grill..
Here I have explained in detail the different functions of different parts..
- Built quality
- Cooking chamber and Grates
- Heat deflector or Drip tray
- Ash tray
- Fan box and more on.
Hope this Char Griller 980 review will give you complete information…;
Incase you are looking for :
- Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800 Review: Explore a comprehensive review of the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800, and discover its usability, functionality, and reliability in outdoor settings.
- Understanding Gravity Fed Smokers: Gain insights into the mechanics, benefits, and unique features of gravity-fed smokers and how they can elevate your outdoor cooking experience.
- Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 vs 560: Compare the features, performance, and specifications of the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 and 560 to make an informed decision for your next purchase.
- Best Gravity Fed Smokers: Explore a curated list of the best gravity-fed smokers available in the market, and find the one that suits your preferences and needs the most.
- Old Country Gravity Fed Smoker Review: Delve into a detailed review of the Old Country Gravity Fed Smoker, assessing its performance, durability, and overall value.
- Old Country Gravity Fed Smoker Mods: Learn about various modifications and enhancements you can make to the Old Country Gravity Fed Smoker to optimize its performance and efficiency.
- Char-Griller Gravity 980 Mods: Discover various modifications and upgrades for the Char-Griller Gravity 980 to enhance its functionality and improve your cooking experience.
# Char Griller Gravity Fed 980 Review
Specifications & Features:
- Cooking space: Total cook area 980 sq inches, primary cook area 680 sq inches.
- Hopper Capacity: 16 lbs of briquette charcoal.
- Dimension (LxWxH): 64.6 x 34.4 x 51.4
- Weight: 213.0 lb
- Porcelain-Coated Cast Iron Cooking Grates.
- Folding Front Shelf.
- Fixed Side Shelf.
- Digital LCD Controller with Bluetooth and WiFi.
- Triple Walled Insulated Hopper.
- Insulated Barrel Lid.
- Built In Meat Probe.
- Precision Control Fan.
- Slide Damper.
This Char Griller 980 is a little heavy.
However, it is helpful because the metal lasts longer and is easier to produce flavor and smoke in this charcoal grill.
The Char Griller 980’s wheels appear to be smaller.
Small wheels will not be able to support the weight of such a large charcoal grill for very long.
The wheels should have been a bit bigger given the heaviness of the grill.
This Char Griller has a sturdy built quality. It comes with heavy metal meaning it lasts longer.
It has an insulated barrel Lid.
Also it contains a porcelain coated grates and triple walled hopper.
It is bigger in size and heavy.
The hopper stays on the left side of the Char Griller where you load the charcoal and mix chunks for cooking and you light it from the bottom.
There’s a fan that blows through there and keeps air on the coals.
This Char Griller also contains a controller that indicates if more heat is required or whether it should be turned off till more is required.
It means you can control the heat or temperature through the controller.
As that charcoal burns, it’s replaced by fresh charcoal above it, so it always gets a steady supply of charcoal through gravity.
As the charcoal burns there’s an ash bin out down there and ash falls into this pan and allows for easy cleanup.
So, it is a very simple concept…
So, here let me tell you that this triple walled hopper can hold 16 lbs of briquette charcoal.
Cooking chamber and Grates
So, let’s talk about the cooking surface of Char Griller 980.
This charcoal grill is massive and heavy.
It has a total 980 sq inches of cooking surface with 680 square inches on the main bottom rack. It’s roughly 36 by 19 or 18 and a half inches in size.
And this large cooking area inspires me to cook for more people.
I would also like to talk about its cooking grate.
This Char Griller 980 comes with 5 porcelain coated cast iron grates that are easy to clean.
These grates are small in size so you can use your dishwasher for cleaning.
Also it has one long grate that can hold a huge amount of food to smoke..
Another nice feature of this grill is that front shelf.
I enjoy having a place where I can put things down.
Whenever you cook food, you will not have to rush to keep or pack things. So, this is very helpful..
Heat deflector or Drip tray
The next thing that I want to talk about is the heat deflector and this drip pan.
So, the heat deflector and drip pan comes with this Char Griller.
You can slow cook, smoke, and bake with this heat deflector.
The heat deflector redirects the heat from your grill to cook evenly from all sides at the same time.
This is one of the most significant improvements to the masterbuilt gravity series.
Grease can damage your deflector, so, you should protect this kit.
And all these things can also have a bad effect on the food.
You can easily remove the coated drip or grease tray and clean it.
There is also a large manifold at the bottom that serves as a path for directing heat.
The manifold raises the fire above the great’s top, prevents side-scorching and allows for fantastic grilling over the top.
Which means the manifold properly distributes the heat released from the hopper to the food.
So let’s talk about the controller
This gravity 980 has a PID controller.
PID controller controls and manages speed or temperature effectively in this griller.
Its LCD controller, which has Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, lets you regulate the temperature of your grill and keep an eye on your cook from your phone.
There will be a power button to turn it on and a set temperature button to adjust the temperature range from 200 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit.
So, it’s very easy to use, just start it and set it to 500 degrees and leave it to reach the set temperature.
So, you’ll be able to do everything from smoke to sear with a timer, probes, and a turbo mode on the fan..
This Char Griller contains two probe ports.
There is a damper in the back of this grill that you can open and close which helps to keep smoke and heat in or go outside whenever you need it.
You can close the damper and preserve the smoke or heat inside the chamber.
It has a small rubber wheel. They allow you to balance the unit in place and avoid instability.
I can’t tell if this wheel will be able to lift your griller for long.
Because the size of the wheel is too small.
This griller has an ash tray to collect all the ash and small pieces of charcoal.
The tray is located at the bottom of the hopper.
It also includes a grease pan built into the griller.
A fan box is attached to the right side of the hopper.
The function of the fan is to transport heat and smoke from the hopper to the cooking chamber.
Don’t forget to open or close it when you’re done and when you’re going to use it.
And one important thing you should know is that it has a slider which is responsible for controlling the heat and smoke entering the chamber.
So, if you don’t move this slider out of its place, it won’t allow smoke and heat to pass through.
It means whenever you are cooking, after burning the charcoal, take out this slider comfortably and keep it in the right place.
It’s a little difficult to understand the directions of how things connect.
I had a problem with the wiring. It took me time to understand and I kept doing it.
And the error code was not encountered..
What I like:
- Large cooking capacity.
- Well-built structure.
- It cooks Effectively.
- Provides nice flavor.
What don’t like:
- The size of the wheel could have been improved.
- It takes time to assemble.
- Little heavy.
Open error issue :
This video will assist you if you are experiencing open error issues..
# How do you season a Char Griller 980?
Here are the simple steps for seasoning, and burn-off..
- Spray the vegetable oil on the rack and grates.
- Close the lid.
- Feel the hopper with ¼ full with charcoal.
- Open the fan cover door for some airflow.
- Then open the ash cleanout door.
- Remove the damper to allow air to flow directly into the grill.
- Open the back vent all the way.
- Place some good fire starters on the small tray below the charcoal grate.
- Use a butane torch or regular lighter to ignite the starters.
- Allow three to five minutes for the fire to move to the hopper before turning on the grill.
- Close the hopper lid and ash cleanout door.
- Press the controller’s power button and then set temperature at 350 degrees.
- You can use the turbo button to increase the heat.
- Let the grill continue for 90 minutes..
# How easy it is to store Char Griller 980?
When not in use, store your grill in a covered area to protect it from sunlight and water..
Protect your grill from dust, wind, and rain with a cover made by Char-Griller.
You can visit the link www.CharGriller.com for accessories..
# Is frequent cleaning required for Char Griller 980?
Clean your cooking grate and grill after each cook to extend the life of your grill and maintain hygiene..
# How long does it take the Char Griller 980 to cool down?
Your grill may take an hour and a half to cool down..
In summary, the Char Griller Gravity Fed 980 is an exceptional smoker that combines practicality and outstanding performance. It ensures uniform heat distribution and effective fuel usage with its novel gravity feed system. Both novice and expert grillers will find it to be a great choice because to the spacious cooking space and strong build. The Char Griller Gravity Fed 980 produces excellent results whether you’re smoking, grilling, or searing. With the help of this excellent smoker, you can improve your outdoor cooking abilities and easily taste great food..